MFA, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
Sep 1996 – May 1998:
Post-graduate Independent Studies in Metals, WSU
BFA, Cum Laude, Metals. Wayne State University
Numerous metal smithing workshops.
July 2003 – Present:
Curator of Exhibitions, Ellen Kayrod Gallery, Hannan House, Detroit. Organize, install and promote gallery exhibitions and events.
Jan. 2004 – Dec 2005:
Jewelry Instructor, B.U.O.Y. 3 Activity Center, Southwest Detroit, MI
May 2000 – Present:
Self-employed Artist: Sculptor; Jeweler; Visual and Performance Artist
May 2001 – Aug 2001:
Adjunct Faculty: Intro to Jewelry and Metal Design; Advanced-level Directed Project. Wayne State University, Detroit
Sep. 1998 – May 2000:
Graduate Teaching Assistant. Fundamentals of jewelry and metal smithing, Wayne State University
Jan. 1998 – May 1998:
Metal Shop Technician, WSU. Maintenance and organization of metal shop.
Sep. 1997 – Sep. 1998:
Jewelry Instructor, Norman Thomas Co., Birmingham, MI. Fundamentals of jewelry making; basic fabrication techniques.
May 1996 – Sep. 1997:
Self employed Studio Jeweler. Wholesale production-line and one-of-a-kind jewelry, sold throughout MI, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.
June 1997 – Aug.1997:
Jewelry and Fine Arts Instructor, Jewish Community Center, Birmingham, MI. Instructed summer camp students in jewelry-making and art projects.
Dec. 1980 – Jan. 1995:
Registered Sales Assistant. Prudential Securities, Ronald Rashid, 400 Renaissance Center, Det., MI. Account maintenance and operational problem solving.
DEMONSTRATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
Papier-mâché skull demo & the Ofrenda; Detroit Institute of Arts.
Dia de los Muertos workshop, Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center, Birmingham, MI, presented with V. Valdez.
Dia de los Muertos workshops, Matrix Theatre, Detroit.
Heritage Festival. Latino Culture workshops at Maplewood Center, Garden City, MI. Sponsored by Casa de Unidad.
Dia de los Muertos workshops, presented with V. Valdez at the Scarab Club, Detroit, MI. Sponsored by Casa de Unidad.
Art in the Garden. Thurgood Marshall High School, Detroit. Sponsored by The Greening of Detroit.
Metalworking Techniques: Riveting and Cold Connections. First Friday, Artist in the Gallery. Detroit Institute of Arts.
Metalsmithing Workshop: 4 wks as visiting artist, Det. Institute of Arts.
Jewelry and Metalsmithing: Texturing and soldering metal. Visiting artist, Wayne State University, Detroit.
- Viva Comunidad, Padziewski Art Gallery, Dearborn, MI
- Latino Art in Detroit, Pittman-Puckett Art Gallery, Ferndale, MI
- Art & Bodies, Work-Detroit Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Actual Size Biennial, The CAID Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Alley Culture Fall’09, Alley Culture Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Our Creative Lives, Lady Bug Gallery, Detroit
- SWAN Innaugural Exhibition, COMPAS Center for the Performing Arts, Detroit
- Works In Progress; solo exhibition culminating artist-in-residency at 555 Gallery
- Still Point Art ‘08; Still Point Zen Temple, Detroit, MI
- Press Play; 555 Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Women Image Women; Scarab Club, Detroit, MI
- Actual Size; Contemporary Art Institute of Detroit, Detroit, MI
- Guns: Replacing Violence with Art, Tangent Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Esperanza; Pontiac Art Center, Pontiac, MI
- Azutunarasharedo; Zeitgeist Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Dia de Los Muertos; Zeitgeist Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Art Out of the Box, Northville Art House, Northville, MI
- Gender(f); Westnorth Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland
- Kinder; Juris Galleries, Detroit, MI
- 2000 Artists!; 4731 Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Sol, Luna y Tierra; Pontiac Arts Center, Pontiac, MI
- Actual Size; Contemporary Art Institute of Detroit (CAID), Detroit, MI
- Jewels, Gems & Portrait Show; Orion Art Center, Orion, MI
- Mixed Media/Mixed Messages; Detroit Artists Market, Detroit
- Sound of Art; Juris Galleries, Detroit
- South Meets North, An Exhibition of Mexican-American Artists; Bagley Hsg. Gallery, Det.
- DAM Members Invitational; Detroit Artists Market, Det, MI
- Street Smartz; Art Exchange, Detroit, MI
- Diverse & United, Community Artists & Friends; Bagley Housing Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Hispanic Heritage; Wayne County Community College, Taylor, MI
- markzine.com On-line group exhibition
- Sister, Sister; Izzy’s Raw Art Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Listen To Me: Women/Voice/Culture; Swords Into Plowshares Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Mini-Series; Agave, Detroit, MI
- Herbeck/Valdez; Zeitgeist Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Wisdom and Compassion/Artist Activists; Swords Into Plowshares, Detroit, MI
- Nine Latinas One Spirit; Bagley Housing Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Milagros: Ofrenda Installation Dedicated to Victims of Breast Cancer, in collaboration with Vito Valdez; C-Pop Gallery, Detroit, MI
- So Little Time; Zeitgeist Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Unity in the Community; Bagley Housing Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Body Parts; Zeitgeist Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Michigan Cass Month: Cass and Beyond; Padziewski Gallery, Dearborn, MI
- Actual Size; detroit contemporary, Detroit, MI.
- Detroit Special; Johanson Charles Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Caliente; Fan Club, Pontiac, MI
- The Three Sculptors; Zeitgeist Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Girlee Detroit Collective; Cranbrook Museum of Art, W. Bloomfield, MI
- Jewelry & Objects; Ann Arbor Center for the Arts, Ann Arbor, MI
- Herstory. A Girlee Detroit Collective Show; Robert Maniscalco Gallery, Detroit
- Wayne State University Thesis Exhibition; Community Arts Gallery, Detroit
- Art Official Intelligence Y2K; Metropolitan Center for the Creative Arts, Detroit
- Image Factory; detroit contemporary, Detroit, MI
- Off the Wall: 3-Dimensional Sculpture; Uzelac gallery, Pontiac, MI
- The Girlee Show: Represent; C-Pop Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Graduate Works in Progress; Wayne State Univ. Community Arts Gallery, Det, MI
- Art for Sale; Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Fort Wayne, IN
- The Florida National; Appleton Museum of Art, Ocala, FL
- Art for Sale; Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Fort Wayne, IN
- Combined Talents; Florida State Univ. Museum of Fine Arts, Tallahassee Fl
- Next: New & Upcoming Jewelry Artists Exhibition; Aaron Faber Gallery, NY,NY
- MSG:Michigan Silversmithing; Birmingham-Bloomfield art Assoc., B’ham, MI
- 33rd Annual Holiday All Media Exhibition; (1997) Detroit Artists Market, Detroit, MI
- Invitational Holiday Exhibition; (1997) Craft Alliance, St. Louis, MO
- Eclectic Electric; (1997) Gallery Function Art, Pontiac, MI
- Functional Elegance; (1996) Gallery Function Art, Pontiac, MI
- Earl Pardon Memorial Exhibition; (1996) Aaron Faber Gallery, New York, New York
PUBLIC ART PROJECTS, AWARDS and DISTINCTIONS
- community+public art: DETROIT. Skillman Foundation grant for three mosaic benches. in southwest Detroit.
- Grant award from Michigan Association of Community Arts Agencies (MACAA) Community pARTners; Lead artist for summer project with Casa de Unidad: Community Arts Environmental Program at Romanowski Park, southwest Detroit, MI. Working with youth to create art in the garden, including four 4’x8’ murals, and four 8’ found-object totems.
- SW Detroit Environmental Vision Beautification Award, Runner-Up. Residential landscaping and beautification.
- Featured guest on Grosse Pointe WMTV Ch. 5 cable program Out of the Ordinary: Alquimia Humana interview and flamenco performance.
- Featured artist on WMTV Pointes of Horticulture, as Artist/Gardener.
- Channel 56 Artbeat featured artist.
- Grant award from the Michigan Association of Community Arts Agencies (MACAA), Community pARTners. Artist–in-residence, at Matrix Theatre, SW Detroit: Weaving a Path to the River, working with youth creating paintings, rock cairns and maintaining green space, to create awareness of the Detroit River as a community resource.
- Special Recognition Award from the Greening of Detroit for the Earth Mother Art Garden Park, in southwest Detroit.
- Grant Award from Michigan Association of Community Arts Agencies (MACAA), Community pARTners. East Meets West. Artist-in-residence with Vito Valdez, at Bagley Housing Association, Southwest Detroit, MI. Created green space, murals, sculpture and billboard to unite two sides of community split by freeway.
- Fox TV 2 Artist of the Month. Live interview 06/20/01.
- Midwest Mineralogical & Lapidary Society Scholarship Award.
- Society of North American Goldsmiths/National Endowment for the Arts Minority Student Fellowship.
- Albert & Peggy DeSalle Scholarship Award in Metals
- Friends of Arrowmont Scholarship
PUBLIC and PRIVATE COLLECTIONS
- Gilbert Cardenas, Director of Institute for Latino Studies, University of Notre Dame
- Swords Into Plowshares Peace Center and Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Southwest Solutions, Detroit, MI
- Georgio Geikas, Venus Bronze Works, Detroit, MI
- JB Davies, JBD Realty, Birmingham, MI
- Skip Davis, Davis Design, Southfield, MI
- Richard Rollins, Alternative Workspace, Detroit, MI
- George R. N’namdi, GR N’namdi Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Fidel Cashero, Grunwald-Cashero, Canton, MI
- Right Management Consultants, Southfield, MI